1. Find a "shirt" (not sure if mine was a shirt or dress to begin with). This one was on clearance at Target for $5.38! I LOVE when there are stickers on top of stickers on a tag, a little mountain of savings! If that is a marketing ploy---you get me every time!! Haha!
2. Use regular thread as your top thread, and loosely wind elastic thread for the bottom on your bobbin.
3. Determine where you want the dress to be cinched in at the waist. I was lucky and could just follow one of the zig zag lines.
4. Sew (with the elastic thread in the bottom) all around the waistline. I sewed with the right side of the fabric facing up, so that the elastic thread was on the inside of the dress. I sewed around 2 times, but more times around would make for a wider waistband.
5. For the bottom, to jazz it up a bit I sewed (again with the elastic in the bobbin) a straight line about 5 inches up each side. This gathered up the bottom sides. :)